Thursday, January 21, 2010

Rest

I suspect many people come to a church service seeking something they do not have or want. Consider these things people may be seeking:
God
Forgiveness
Purpose
Freedom
Healing
Friends
Belonging
Empowerment
Distraction
Community
Help
Escape
Hope
All these things speak to unfulfilled perception of need. Sometimes the need is desperate. I can identify with the empty, broken longing, the urgency, and the exhaustion.

How about Rest? In Matthew 11:28-30 Jesus speaks regarding peoples perceptions of Him as they interact with Him in their search for God.

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

I believe Jesus said these things because He knew something about a deeper need for some people, and His Spirit considered these words important enough to make sure they got included in the Bible.

Rest.

Do we offer rest?

No comments:

Post a Comment