Monday, February 23, 2009

Right side living

I've been reading a book titled “My Stroke of Insight” by Jill Bolte Taylor, Ph.D. Jill was (still is? I haven’t finished yet) a brain scientist who suffered a stroke. This book is her description of the event; her journey to 'recovery' and an interesting look into the physiology of the brain.
Jill's stroke was contained mostly to the left side of her brain which is, in my understanding (and I might add extremely simplified) primarily analytical in nature (linear, sequential). The right side being primarily ‘in the moment’ (abstract, emotional, experiential) was undamaged. Jill describes a type of ‘nirvana’ she experienced as her left hemisphere ‘went off line’ and her existence was limited to right hemisphere thinking. As I read her medical, scientific explanations of the physiology of the brain and her subsequent spiritual experiences “with the universe”, I am joyful to realize once again how fearfully and wonderfully made we are. Specifically, as I read Jill’s narrative of her spiritual experience, I am so thankful that I know the person responsible for it all, call Him by name, and call Him my friend.

As I spend this time away on vacation I reflect how I am choosing to live from my right side. To slow down, respond to my heart, and experience the moment.

See ya.

1 comment:

  1. You sound like you're having a great relaxing time. I'm jealous...
    Looking forward to hearing about your Florida escapades when you return home.

    ReplyDelete